Labels

Exercise (2) Recipe (2)

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The State of the Gym Today

These days when I walk into the gym I notice an odd phenomenon. It doesn't matter the gym location, the demographic of the gym, or even the size of the gym. The phenomenon is the same. There is a clear and definitive line between the "girls" side and the "boys" side. The cardio equipment is overrun by ladies of all ages and the free weights are dominated by the men. At times, there are those who make the epic journey across the line. Being one of those few who spends more time around the free weights than the cardio equipment, I'll let you in on a little secret. Most people in the gym don't know what they are doing. And yes, this includes both sides. Ladies (and gents who avoid weights), it is time to move. Get your butt off the elliptical, leave the magazines at home and start sweating! Free weights and even your own body weight should be embraced in the gym, not feared. Adding a little muscle to your repertoire will only benefit you (and no it will NOT make you look like the mighty hulk - pinky promise) especially in terms of burning calories. Best thing about lean muscle? Burning extra calories compared to fat!

My goal, through this blog, is to share my knowledge, as a four year Metabolic Effect certified personal trainer to help improve the time spent in the gym and produce better results.  (Check out: Metabolic Effect) Many people have asked me to provide tips, write workouts and show them around the gym. Being one person, my ability to provide individualized attention is difficult. Here, I can share exercise techniques, workout tips, and recipes I have found and created.

In addition to your own journey, I will be continuing mine. My approach to exercise and living a healthy lifestyle is realistic. As a student, I know how difficult it is to add exercise to an already hectic schedule. Each day is a battle, trying to make healthy food choices over my sweet tooth, forcing myself into the gym when all I want to do is sleep. Together, I hope to improve everyone success at living their best life!

Things you can look forward to: starting at the beginning and the basics, the tools to create personalized workouts, nutrition tips, and much more!

I hope you too can start moving to the boy's side of the gym! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment