Labels

Exercise (2) Recipe (2)

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bored Eating (how to recognize it and how to avoid it)

I have a confession to make. I'm a bored eater. Yes, you heard me correctly, a bored eater. Not a boring eater (believe me I love every cuisine as much as the next person), but I eat when I'm bored. Take today for instance. My school has a terrible habit of leaving extra food lying around for hungry, broke graduate students to nibble up. Fantastic right? Not for bored eaters like me, it is our worst nightmare. I had just finished a fabulously healthy salad filled with tomatoes, avocado, chicken, chickpeas, carrots, spinach and felt fantastic (and full). Yet, I walked downstairs and saw these COOKIES just starring at me, begging to be eaten. Of course the ravenous grad students were swarming like flies gobbling up the food and like a sheep, I followed. Next thing I know I'm sitting in class with a half eaten cookie. WHAT?!? Then I start to feel guilty about the half I had eaten, yet throughout the class, bit by bit that entire cookie (which was probably the size of my face) is gone. As you can tell, I'm a bored eater and chances are many of you are to some degree as well. I figure in sharing my experience today, along with some helpful hints on how to avoid future situations like this may help all of us stay accountable.

First, recognize your weaknesses. You can never solve a problem unless you are acutely aware of what triggers you to "bored eat". For me, it's sweets - every time. Probably the only thing I'll ever turn down is carrot cake (go figure, the healthy one). Whether it's salty, crunchy, savory or sweet foods, you know exactly what you can't keep your hands off of.

Have prepared go-to snacks. The best way to avoid bored eating? Eat good, filling food instead! I try my best to never leave the house without at least 3 different snacks on me. Fiber or protein packed items are the best because they keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. Some of my favorite go to's:
-Apples (fyi - it's best if you cut them up before hand, it's really awkward to crunch on the apple in the middle of class)
-Carrots/Celery (add a tablespoon or two of natural peanut butter)
-Handful of Almonds (I admit, I'm starting to force myself to like these)
-Protein Bars (The key here is looking for bars with high protein & fiber and low sugar. For example: ThinkThin bars have 0 sugar, but I'll warn you they are pricey. I generally don't opt for protein bars, but if they are within your budget or are the easiest to grab and go - then this is a great option)
- Hardboiled eggs (without the yolks!)
I'm sure with a little work you can find your favorite go-to snacks. Keep to the basics, unprocessed is always better, fruits/veggies are high in fiber and nuts (in handful amounts) are perfect for protein.

Eat on a schedule. Eating smaller meals throughout the day is more beneficial than trying to eat 3 square meals a day. A schedule helps me avoid the "bored eating" and cravings. Plan your day out, set a watch with a timer, do whatever you need to do. Count out a meal every 2-3 hours. Obviously plan the "big meals" around the appropriate times (ie, eat your healthy lunch around noon time - or whenever lunch is) but make sure you eat a "go-to" snack every 2-3 hours.

Water. Always have a water bottle on hand. (Preferably a reusable - that's the eco-friendly in me). Drink water when you feel hungry or see that giant face-size cookie. Water always curbs my appetite and immediately makes me feel full. Water should not replace your go-to snacks, but should be used throughout the day and especially when you feel those urges to cave to your weaknesses. (Small bladders beware) :-)

Lastly, do not get down on yourself. I admit, I did today - I got disappointed and frustrated at myself for slipping up yet again. But really, what does feeling bad achieve? Nothing - I ate the cookie, it's part way through my digestive system by the time I try to get over my guilt. There's no need to freak out, or run to the nearest treadmill to "work off the calories". Use your slip ups (which hopefully decrease with practice) as self-recognition points. Write it down if you have to - note the exact time, place and how you were feeling when you ate that delicious treat. Then, move on. Get back on the healthy-eating horse with your next meal, prepare a wholesome dinner of lean protein, TONS of veggies and a bit of sweet potato (That was my recovery meal, btw) and MOVE ON.

While none of this information is innovative or new, a little reminder and self-recognition never hurts. Next time I'll definitely be avoiding the monster cookies!  
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment